Call for High School and Undergraduate Science Project Papers in the Marine Sciences
Did you demonstrate your passion in the Marine Sciences by participating in a Science or Engineering Fair either individually or in a team (of up to three persons) sometime within the 2017-2018 school year? Would you like to receive scholarship money to further your education and research in this exciting field?
If so, we invite you to send us a project abstract of 300 words or less and a technical paper describing your project for consideration of special awards to be presented jointly by the Education Committees of the American Salvage Association (ASA) and the North American Marine Environmental Protection Association (NAMEPA). Your project will be evaluated by both associations with one submission. Papers and abstracts will be accepted from January 1, 2018 – September 1, 2018. Winners will be notified before September 30, 2018 and will be announced in a variety of official marine industry publications via press release.
Competition will be divided into 2 groups for prizes: High School 9-12th grades and College/University undergraduate students. Scholarship recipients will be invited to receive the award at a marine industry function event of the American Salvage Association and/or the North American Marine Environmental Protection Association (NAMEPA) in the fall of 2018. This will provide the winners with a unique opportunity to interact and network with highly regarded marine industry representatives, potential employers, researchers, educators, and regulators. You won't want to miss it!
To be considered your project should focus on one of the following broad Marine Science subject areas.
• Marine Environmental Care
• Naval Architecture
• Marine Engineering
• Ocean Engineering
• Underwater Robotics
• Air Emissions from Ships
• Alternative Fuel Supplies for Ships
• Oil and Chemical Spill Remediation
• Offshore Well Control
• Diving Systems
• Marine Biology
• Marine Ecosystems
• Marine Microorganisms
• Ship Design
• Ship Breaking
• Recovery of Sunken Ships
• Cargo, Fuel or Pollutants
• Marine Salvage or Marine Environmental projects
NAMEPA Mission Statement:
The North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA) is a marine industry-led organization of environmental stewards preserving the marine environment by promoting sustainable marine industry best practices and educating seafarers, students and the public about the need and strategies for protecting global ocean, lake and river resources. For more information, go to www.namepa.net.
American Salvage Association Education Committee Mission Statement:
The American Salvage Association's (ASA) Education Committee is committed to promoting general maritime industry interest with a focus on marine salvage, and to help develop maritime industry expertise through interactive experience with ASA salvage professionals. The Committee's goal is to support career development in all maritime disciplines inclusive of, but not limited to, the development of both licensed and unlicensed seafarers, encouragement for licensed officers to reach senior officer status and to gain experience at sea. For non-seafarers, the promotion of math, sciences, engineering, naval architecture, diving, environmental sciences, robotics, marine insurance, maritime law, ocean engineering, accounting, logistics, and other related fields.
- High School Prize - Enrolled in 9th - 12th grades during the 2017-2018 school year
- Undergraduate Prize - Undergraduate student enrolled full time during Fall 2017 – Winter 2018
- Abstract of paper 300 words or less
- Technical Paper, no size limitation
- You may submit only the following file types: doc, docx, pdf, txt.
- Submission due on or before September 1, 2018
Prizes (offered jointly by both NAMEPA and ASA Education Committee):
- High School submission - $500, 250, 100 (1st 2nd, 3rd place)
- Undergraduate submission - $500, 250, 100 (1st 2nd, 3rd place)
- All prize winners will receive recognition in industry publications
- All prize winners will receive an invitation to receive their awards at a marine industry function
- Additional "special recognition" awards may be presented dependent upon submissions
Submit an Entry:
Please follow the form submission instructions below:
* = Required fields.
You may submit only the following file types: doc, docx, pdf, txt.
Contact: Mrs. Rebecca Garcia-Malone
with questions. Alternatively, Ms. Nina Quaratella
may also be contacted.